CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 20, 2008

When life is overwhelming...

It's been awhile! I apologize...I've been in Colorado celebrating my dad's 60th birthday.

Someone recently asked me about writing more about my anxiety and posting more frequently. Let me just say, I only write when God places something on my heart of utmost importance to share. I have a very hard time coming to the computer and writing unless there is genuinely something important or urgent on my heart. So, forgive me for not writing as often. Sometimes there are multiple things in one day I need to share, and other times it seems I'm all dried up!

I just started a Beth Moore Bible study on the Psalms and I'm so excited about it already. It's so interesting to me how I have a tendency to draw away from God when I feel anxious. This is probably one of the most frustrating parts. Anxiety is probably one of the most lonely, scary, fearful, and dreadful emotions I can think of and in those moments I often feel so distant from God. I hate it. As a Christian, I know all the right answers and I know I'm supposed to just trust God and go to Him when I feel this way. But it's not that easy and Satan knows that it is the easiest way for me to be drawn away from my Savior, my Master, my life support.

Through this process I have really clung to certain song lyrics and that's partly why I'm so excited about this study on the Psalms. One song in particular that has been so comforting to me is one by Bebo Norman and the chorus is:

When the waters rise
They will not pull me under
When the mountain slides
And crashes to the sea
I will lift my eyes
And call out to you Father
Be my covering!!!

This is the perfect description of how I feel when I'm anxious. But my Father IS my covering, regardless of how insecure I feel. He is my stronghold. He is there whether I feel Him or not.

Whether you struggle with anxiety or some other type of stronghold may I encourage you to do something. Take some time, 10 or 15 minutes, and glance through the entire book of Psalms. Let me just say, you will reach the end and be so filled by its words. I know it seems like a large task but it really isn't. You will be so blessed. I did that this morning and found that my eyes fell upon certain phrases and I couldn't get my highlighter fast enough. I found myself highlighting phrases that described me and that were so comforting to me. I'm excited to go back through and highlight more. My hope is that in that moment of fear and anxiety when I'm feeling far from God, I can open my Bible to the Psalms and see those highlighted phrases jump off the page. I don't think I ever realized before how anxious the psalmist David felt in his own life. I was so comforted by his words and the realization that someone else knew exactly how I felt and was able to articulate it to God and be able to praise Him at the same time.

So, when life seems overwhelming and you feel like you don't even know where to go, may I encourage you to go to the Psalms and just allow your eyes to skim the pages. You will find that the Holy Spirit leads you to phrases that you need to hear. Highlight them, underline them, or whatever you need to do to be able to recognize them at a moments notice. Then, the next time you are feeling low, overwhelmed, anxious, afraid, lost, confused, etc., may you return to the Psalms and be reminded of the God who never leaves you and who longs for you to be intimately connected with Him!

I hope that it is as encouraging, fulfilling, and comforting to you as it is to me!

1 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Marci,
I recently found your blog from your and David's website. I'd been thinking of starting a blog for a while and reading yours made me decide to go for it.

I've struggled with anxiety for what seems like forever now so it's comforting to read the wisdom you have to share from your struggles. It's not a fun thing to have in common but it's nice to know you're not alone!

Linda